1. Harkness opens Shadow of Night with a quote by Queen Elizabeth I. How is the quote significant to the book?
2. The Elizabethan era is made vivid in the novel through the everyday details that Diana must contend with. What did you find most surprising, funny, or intriguing about life in the sixteenth century?
3. When Diana arrives in 1590, she is thrilled to experience firsthand a world that she had studied as a historian. If you could go back in time, what era would you visit? What would you do while there?
4. There is no question that Matthew is a compelling character, but is he a traditional romantic hero? Compare him with some of your favorite leading men in literature.
5. Who were the School of Night? What is the meaning behind the title Shadow of Night?
6. In Shadow of Night Harkness cheekily refers to Shakespeare’s plays without naming them. Can you recognize which work she’s referring to?
7. What does Diana learn about the materials used to make Ashmole 782?
8. If Shadow of Night was a film, which celebrities would you cast in the starring roles?
9. Did you read A Discovery of Witches? If so, in what ways has Diana changed since the last novel? If not, how did your own opinion about Diana change through the course of the book?
10. A Discovery of Witches ended with a cliffhanger. At the end of Shadow of Night, what do you think lies ahead?
(Questions issued by publisher.)
Site by BOOM
LitLovers © 2016